Exfoliative cheilitis revisited and burning mouth syndrome

HI!

About a year ago, in November 2015, I developed cracked and peeling lips. Originally I thought it was because of the cold weather, although I have never had this before in 11 years of living in the Netherlands and 5 years of living in Sweden. But it did not disappear when I went back to the tropics for 5 weeks. I tried about a bucketful of different remedies. Finally in May I went to a doctor who analyzed some of the skin flakes that I kept peeling off (several cm2 a day!) and told me it was a fungus called Geotrichem, which is commonly found on your skin. No clue as to why it suddenly was a problem. I used Daktacort twice a day and it did kind of disappear over a 3-week period; however if I forgot the Daktacort for a day or two I would get it back.


Since the beginning of October I have had it back in spite of continuous use of the Daktacort. Since it contains cortisone I have changed over to Daktarin which is a fungicide but with no cortisone. Last weekend it was so bad that I woke up from drops in my mouth. They were salty and my lips hurt badly so I thought they were bleeding, but I found out the lower part of my lower lip had completely peeled and was producing liquid, like wounds do. It was awful. After consideration I thought it might have been an allergic reaction to a new lip balm which I was trying out, which I of course immediately threw away.

Since then I am back to square one with my lips keratinous (thick skin), continuous peeling flakes, and the skin around the lips itchy and red. I use various lip balms, trying to find what works best.


 tripleclicks.com
Natural Plant Lip Balm Transparent— €4.04 (Save 28%!)



Pure Natural Plant Lip Balm Transparent Moisturizer NutritiousAnti Cracking Crystal Lips Care Product Name: Natural Plant Lip Balm Weight: 4G Product effect: Moisturizing lip, durable seal in moisture Shelf life: 3 years
4.99 USD InStock
Currently I cannot use lipstick or lip gloss, but at most I can contain the problem. Not using lip balm at all means my lips crack and bleed and I cannot smile or laugh. I have gone back to the doctor and he has taken blood samples, looking for a possible vitamin deficiency, and a biopsy.

The other problem I have had immediately with the exfoliative cheilitis is burning mouth syndrome. I think it began because my mouth felt sore and my tongue kept exploring around like a sore tooth. I suspect that at night my tongue fixes itself to the roof of my mouth and draws a vacuum, resulting in a red spot in the middle of my tongue and the feeling I have just drunk scalding hot liquid. I have had this continuously for almost a year now and it is driving me crazy. Chewing gum gives a bit of relief but I always start biting myself (in the exact same spot). Eating and drinking is not as fun as it was before, not to mention kissing :). Drinking cold liquid or eating yoghurt gives a bit of relief, but you can't do that all day. I hope the doctor finds something.



 tripleclicks.com
Healthy Origins L-Glutathione Natural Multi Vitamins, 500 Mg Reduced, 60 Count— €25.91 (Save 35%!)


Naturally derived substance Biologically active sulfur amino acid Healthy Origins Contains three amino acids, L cysteine, L glutamic acid and glycine. Naturally derived substance. Biologically active sulfur amino acid. Healthy Origins.
31.99 USD InStock

Update Nov. 17: I have tried an antibiotic ointment which before did not help at all but which currently is giving some relief for the lips. For a day or 3 they were almost normal, but now I wake up in the morning with hard (keratinous) lips which peel in the course of the day. I don't have much problems with cracking and bleeding though or with red irritated skin around the lips. I am using a liquid fungicide for the burning mouth syndrome but it has not helped so far.


1.Fashion & mini yogurt maker, cute and save place, easy to store 2.Homemade yogurt, additive free, paraben free, yummy, healthy and safe 3.Add all kinds of fruit you like into the yogurt, make it more delicious 4.Easy operation, just plug in, the indicator lights up, the yogurt maker is working 5.Automatic control, constant temperature, great temperature for fermentation 6.Store wire design, easy to store and much safer Specification: Material: Plastic+Stainless Steel Inner Tank Size: 17x17x16cm/6.7x6.7x6.3Inch Color: Orange, Blue Voltage: 220V/50Hz Power: 15W Package Includes: 1 x Automatic Yogurt Maker
26.03 USD InStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exfoliative cheilitis update; I have found a cure!

An unknown cause of misery: exfoliative cheilitis (chronic peeling & cracking of the lips)

Splitting nails