Healthy nutrition: what's the best foods for weight loss

Hi!

Today I had a colleague who asked me how I manage to stay so thin. It is not the first time I have had this question and I thought it might be interesting to take it up here.


Obviously, staying at the same weight is a matter of balance. I probably actually go up and down a little in weight like everyone else, but I do not realize it. I have had times when I was a few kilos up or down from my current weight which is somewhere around 65 kg. At my 1.80 m this is just fine. I do not want to lose weight. I would like to add muscle. I am not the least concerned about my weight, factually. I am interested in my body fat content, not my weight in kilos. >(or lbs). 


But isn't it ironic? When I put on weight it goes on to my "jellybelly" and my hips. When I lose weight (last year I was very stressed and got down to 62 kg which is too little for me) I lose it from my face and my arms and legs, and the stubborn fat on my belly and hips stays. Sigh. So now everyone says I am thin, because my face is thin, while I am in fact quite ok. I am back to 65 kg.

So here is my recipe for staying slim. Many people think I can eat anything and just stay slim, but that is a total misunderstanding.



 tripleclicks.com

Acai Diet 90 Caps Only Natural Ultimate — €21.31 (Save 13%!)



Appetite control formula Boosts energy Features vital antioxidants Enhance your goals with Only Natural Ultimate Acai Diet! This unique formula includes pure acai pulp and the finest raw materials available, including vitamins, minerals, herbs, amino acids, sea vegetables, essential fatty acids and whole foods. In addition, it's also packed with vital antioxidants which may contribute to a healthier lifestyle. 90 CAPS
25.99 USD InStock




1. I avoid all kinds of sweets. No candy, chocolate, cake, cookies, as a matter of fact I try to avoid processed foods of any kinds (anything that has a nutrition label on it!). From my experience, eating any sweet just makes me want to eat more sweets, whereas avoiding them makes me lose the craving.

2. I never drink any liquids with any calories, except for my daily glass of red wine. Yes, you may think that is not good either, ok. But I am so good otherwise. I drink organic green and white tea and lots of (fresh lemon) water.

3. When I cook I only use organic extra virgin olive oil (and here it is worth investing in organic oil from a good farm, free from preservatives and fillers, since you only use so little but there are enormous quality differences between the oil), I avoid fried foods of any kind, and our evening meal is always only lean meats or fish or vegetarian and 3, 4, 5, 6 different kinds of veggies, both steamed and raw. Sometimes stewed. So we generally avoid pasta, rice and potatoes.

4. NEVER eat until you are full. I eat until I am satisfied and then I stop. I welcome leftovers: either they will be the start of another meal or my lunch someday soon. I freeze in any and all leftovers and label them. I actually feel very uncomfortable feeling full.

 tripleclicks.com
★★★★☆Honey Lemon Tea— €18.82



Naturally sweetened with lo han fruit extract--which promotes fat burning and soothes the digestion process--HerbaGreen Teas also contain lotus leaf (rich in isoflavones), kudzu (for promoting circulation), and 100mg of polyphenols, equivalent to at least 15 cups of the strongest brewed green tea. PLUS - HerbaGreen Teas contain NO calories or caffeine. Each bottle equals 60 servings. Choose from among Original flavor, Heavenly Honey Lemon, or Mandarin Mango Swirl. Then, simply add a dropper full to hot, warm, or cold water and stir for a naturally delicious, wonderfully healthy drink! BENEFITS OF GREEN TEA POLYPHENOLS: * Maintains healthy cells, cell growth and development. * Supports a healthy cardiovascular system. * Promotes healthy weight control by blocking carbohydrate absorption. * Fights damaging free-radicals, which attack healthy cells and promote aging. * Supports the immune system. * Helps the body maintain its toxin-free condition. * Promotes healthy blood sugar balance. * Supports dental and optimal gum health. CONCENTRATED HERBAGREEN TEA VS. "TEA BAG" TEA SOURCE: Scientific documentation has shown that the majority of the therapeutic benefits of green tea are due to the polyphenols. Steeping a tea bag in hot water is a very inefficient means of extracting these polyphenols. HerbaGreen Tea contains concentrated extracts, with over 90% polyphenols. One serving provides 115 mg of plyphenols, the equivalent of more than 15 cups of brewed "tea bag" green tea. Furthermore, a lot of green tea from tea bags contains caffeine, which many people want to avoid. HerbaGreen Tea has only caffeine-free green tea extracts. You get ALL the benefits of green tea polyphenols with HerbaGreen Tea! Finally, each small bottle of HerbaGreen Tea is a much more convenient source of healthful antioxidants for a busy lifestyle than clumsy, messy tea bags. Just add a single dropper into your water bottle and enjoy while working out, walking, or on the go...or add some tea into your water while dining out. INGREDIENTS PER SERVING: Green Tea extract (leaf) - 100 mg Lotus extract (leaf) - 24 mg Lo Han extract (fruit) - 16 mg Stevia extract (leaf) - 15 mg Kudzu extract (root) - 10 mg Chinese Licorice extract (root) - 2 mg Other ingredients: Purified water, natural glycerin, natural flavors 1 bottle of HerbaGreen Tea = 2 fl. oz; 60 servings DIRECTIONS: Mix one full dropper (1 ml; 30 drops) of HerbaGreen Tea to a cup of water at any temperature. Drink two to three times throughout the day or as often as desired. For optimal results with weight loss, drink during or immediately after meals. Keep all supplements out of reach from children. Pregnant or nursing women should consult their health care professional before taking any herbal products. **These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
4.20 171
22.95 USD LimitedAvailability



5. NEVER eat or drink DIET products. Generally they are bad for your health and full of chemicals which are worse than the original product (did you know that aspartame was developed as an ant repellent? Ha!). Do you really think the Diet Product industry wants you to lose weight? Of course not! Then you would stop using their products. Take less of the normal product instead. However, if you are a Coke fan, it is better to use a sugar-free variety if you cannot be without; at least if you want to lose weight! 

5. Break all of the above rules. Just do it very seldom:)

And if you eat rice, make it brown rice or at least parboiled; pasta is available as whole-wheat; and take fresh potatoes. Once again, every rule can be broken: there is nothing wrong with eating french fries now and then. Just don't do it often. 

Yes, I do a very mean lasagna. But nowadays I use turkey ground meat. Sometimes I eat a small piece of chocolate (only dark chocolate though! or a cookie. I may be pressed socially on somebody's birthday to take a small piece of cake or pie. I break all my own rules. Just very seldom.

 tripleclicks.com

Green SuperFood Drink Cacao Chocolate Amazing Grass— €21.31 (Save 7%!)



Blend of organic superfoods that provides energy and health Chocolate flavored drink powder helps you achieve your 5-9 daily servings of fruits and veggies Gluten free and vegan formula Amazing Grass Chocolate Green SuperFood is a delicious chocolate drink powder to help you achieve your 5 to 9 daily servings of fruits and vegetables. A full spectrum of alkalizing green superfoods, fruits, and support herbs unite with organic Acai, Maca and Cacao to provide a powerful dose of whole food nutrition with a delicious dark chocolate taste. Complete with pre& probiotics and digestive enzymes to ensure rapid nutrient absorption and healthy digestion. Supplement Facts Serving Size one scoop (8 grams) Servings Per Container 30 Amount Per Serving % Daily Value Calories 30 Calories from Fat 5 0% Total Fat 1 g 0% Sugar 0 g 0% Cholesterol 0 g 0% Sodium 38 mg 2% Protein 2 g 4% Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1% Dietary Fiber 2 g 8% Vitamin A (100% as Betacarotene) 3115 IU 65% Vitamin C 18 mg 30% Vitamin K 25 mcg 30% Riboflavin 0.23 mg 15% Niacin 0.3 mg 1% Vitamin B6 38 mcg 3% Folic Acid 16 mcg 4% Cobalamin (B12) 0.9 mcg 15% Calcium 19 mg 3% Iron 1.2 mg 6% Iodine 6 mcg 4% Selenium 2.5 mcg 4% Manganese 151 mcg 6% Potassium 76 mg 3% Chlorophyll 19 mg * All natural whole food ingredients: Amazing Grass Green Food Blend Organic Wheat Grass, Organic Barley Grass, Organic Alfalfa, Organic Spirulina, Organic Spinach, Organic Chlorella (cracked cell-wall), Organic Broccoli 3252 mg * Chocolate Blend Organic Dutch Cocoa, Organic Redwood Cocoa, Organic Cacao, Natural Chocolate Flavoring 3068 mg * Antioxidant Blend Organic Acai, Organic Maca, Organic Carrot, Organic Beet, Raspberry, Organic Rose Hips, Pineapple, Green Tea, Acerola Cherry 295 mg * EFA Fiber Blend Organic Flax Seed Powder, Organic Oat Fiber, Apple Pectin Fiber 833 mg * Digestive Enzyme and Active Culture Pre & Probiotic Blend: F.O.S (from Chicory Root), L. Acidophilus, Alpha and Beta Amylase, Protease, Lipase, Lactase, Cellulase 440 mg * Energizing Herb Blend Siberian Eleuthero Root, Peppermint 20 mg * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. *Daily Value not established. Other ingredients: Sea salt. 8.5 oz. powder Suggested Use: Mix 1 scoop with 8 oz of your favorite milk. We recommend 1 to 3 servings daily. Mixing tip: Dissolves best when mixed with 1 oz of water prior to adding milk. Best kept frozen or refrigerated after opening.
25.99 USD InStock



So what does my day generally looks like? Lots of fruit and vegetables!

Breakfast is generally a bowl of 2 to 3 different fresh fruits (my husband also loves fruit, so if we have less than 3 different fruits available, IT'S AN EMERGENCY!), Apples, pineapple, mango, kiwi, oranges, mandarins, melon, watermelon, pears, bananas, grapes (we buy whatever is on "Extrapris", the special deals). In order to have the full health benefit I don't cut the fruit until we are actually going to eat them. So, I do not prepare my bowl beforehand although if you are really pressed for time in the morning it is an option). Then I'm nuts about nuts: pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts, hazelnuts, brazil nuts, other nuts and linseed. Yoghurt: half natural, half some fruit yoghurt (people mistake this for healthy food but it contains 3% added sugar). If you can manage 100% natural yoghurt it is even better. 






Sometimes I use muesli or granola, currently it is only nuts and seeds. I also love to add a dash of organic cinnamon. I don't buy everything organic, that is just too expensive, but when you do not use lots of it such as the EV olive oil and herbs and tea, I try as much as possible to buy organic). 


Lunch is either a fresh salad from the most nearby supermarket, most have a salad bar nowadays, or leftovers. During the summer I might make smoothies out of any fruit with some yoghurt. 

Salad with warm goat cheese (also excellent for dinner) and molten honey


Dinner is always fish or seafood, (lean) meat (chicken, turkey, beef, lamb, and occassionally the more exotic ones such as duck, dove, ostrich or whatever) or an omelette with vegetables. Lots of vegetables. Generally I serve at least 2 raw vegetables and at least 1 steamed. We don't normally eat rice, potatoes or pasta. Again: break the rule sometime. There is nothing wrong with eating some rice, potatoes or pasta. Just do it seldom.

Lamb steak with veggies & red wine mushroom sauce

Chicken cordon blue with alternative filling: turkey bacon and blue cheese. 

Dessert: ach yes, here in Sweden it is the most important part of the meal. Swedes love their sweets. We only do dessert when we are at a family party, and even then I will try to avoid the cakes and cookies and ice cream in spite of the social press. At home, it will be fruit at most. 

Remember though: children have different needs. My teenage children do eat rice, potatoes and pasta. And dessert. They are growing and they need the calories and the carbs and they need much more fat than we do (having the fat-soluble vit. A, D, K & E among others). Just try to instill healthy habits into them. I have found that it is very useful that while I am cooking and they are in the kitchen I have some bowls with raw or steamed vegetables on the table from which they can snack. We very seldom eat chips, instead we sometimes have a bowl of cut vegetables and a dip sauce. Lead by example! Children don't do what you say, they do what you do (most of the time, and you have to wait long for the results!),



 tripleclicks.com
Bragg Organic Sprinkle 24 Herbs and Spices Seasoning -- 1.5 oz— €6.14 (Save 16%!)
Bragg Organic Sprinkle 24 Herbs and Spices Seasoning Description All Purpose Delicious Seasoning Non-Irradiated Salt-Free Bragg Organic Sprinkle is an original blend of 24 organic herbs and spices. Contains no additives, no preservatives, no fillers. Original formula by Paul C. Bracgg, American's Health Pioneer. A delicious...


Bragg Organic Sprinkle 24 Herbs and Spices Seasoning Description All Purpose Delicious Seasoning Non-Irradiated Salt-Free Bragg Organic Sprinkle is an original blend of 24 organic herbs and spices. Contains no additives, no preservatives, no fillers. Original formula by Paul C. Bragg, American's Health Pioneer. A delicious seasoning for every meal, specially suited for healthy low sodium diets. Sprinkle adds flavor to most all recipes, meals and snacks: Salads & Dressings • Sauces • Soups • Veggies • Potatoes • Casseroles • Tempeh • Tofu • Marinades • Fish • Poultry • Jerky • Meats • Wok & Stir-Frys • Rice & Beans • Popcorn • Most Foods Free Of Salt. Delicious!!!
7.49 USD InStock

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exfoliative cheilitis update; I have found a cure!

An unknown cause of misery: exfoliative cheilitis (chronic peeling & cracking of the lips)

Splitting nails