Does the time of day matter for the effectiveness of your training?

Hi!

Since about half a year ago I started working out every day, early in the morning on working days (6 am) and a little later during weekends (8:30-9 am). For me it feels very good and I have seen an impressive result in losing persistent belly fat. I don't have that much of it, and I am not overweight, but until recently I always looked, like, 3 months pregnant. I have always had this, by the way, since I was a teenager, but it has not improved after having 2 children and even at the time that I was most well-trained (that would be when I was doing kickboxing 3 times a week) I would have this persistent little belly. Even when I was at my lowest weight, 47 kg (way too thin for my1.80 m) I still had it!

But now I have lost most of it thanks to my daily workout routine. I am convinced that the reason for this:
1. The intensity of the 10 minutes exercise;
2. The variation in exercise.

Another reason for my results, I thought, was exercising early in the morning. Because instead of feeling tired and sleepy when I arrive at work, I am energetic and eager. However, I have been doing some research and the result of my research leaves quite some doubt.

Your core temperature is at its lowest early in the morning, and measurements done with athletes indicate that either there is no difference between performance in the morning or evening, OR the performance such as muscle strength and aerobic capacity is (in some cases significantly) LOWER in the morning. Your muscle temperature increases during the day and peaking at around 6 pm, also your muscles are more warmed-up and flexible increasing your performance and decreasing the risk of injury. My theory is therefore apparently not valid.



However, there are still reasons to stick to a morning program. Exercise stimulates your metabolism and has you burning calories all day at a higher level then if you had not exercised. According to one magazine, Women's Health Magazine, in studies women were more physically active during the day when they had exercised and the overweight women were also less interested in food. One tiny solace also is that it seems that morning exercisers tend to adhere stronger to their training program. 

Other studies indicate there are several types of circadian rhythms and that therefore peak performance at a given time of day would depend on what kind of person you are (a morning person,  night owl, or an intermediate type).

HuffPost says that it depends on what you want: if you want to lose weight it is best to exercise early in the morning because it boosts your metabolism and you are more active and energetic. If you want to sleep better, morning exercise is also recommended as it both "sets your brain time", reduces your blood pressure and makes you wind down better at night. On the other hand, if you want to become stronger, you should exercise in the evening because your body is more responsive to exercise and your muscles are warmer and more flexible.





All the experts seem to agree on one thing: exercising at any time is always better than not exercising, in all aspects; and whatever time of the day fits you best, it is always best to exercise at the same time of day. So if you find morning exercise, like me, to brighten your day, then keep it to a morning routine. Having said that, although I train every morning, I sometimes add in extra exercises or even a whole routine in the late afternoon before dinner or before I go to bed. Only when I feel like it.

Hope this helps! Drop me a comment!

References:

http://websites.sportstg.com/get_file.cgi?id=541414

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22531613

https://www.insidescience.org/news/time-day-could-impact-athletes-performance-peak

http://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(14)01639-X

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/11/best-time-to-work-out_n_4393400.html

http://www.youbeauty.com/fitness/best-time-to-exercise/



Corset Waist Training Cincher Control Body Shaper— €15.24 (Save 40%!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Exfoliative cheilitis update; I have found a cure!

An unknown cause of misery: exfoliative cheilitis (chronic peeling & cracking of the lips)

Splitting nails